bald spot zen

A few months ago I was checking out my new haircut in the bathroom, using two mirrors. "Wait, what...?" I said to myself as I noticed a bald spot on the top-rear of my head. "Wow, that no-good barber made a mistake and didn't even tell me!", I thought to myself.

But it wasn't the barber's fault. Over the next few months the spot, and the rest of the top of my head, kept getting more and more sparse of hair. I can see what's in store for me. Welcome to Baldsville... say hello to Mayor George from Seinfeld.











Anyway, what's this got to do with Buddhist practice? Well, nothing, and everything. It's definitly a chance to recognize and laugh at my own vanity. I can read all the Buddhist books I want, but at the end of the day I still want to cling to my youth and self-image like an aspiring model worrying over zits. Gotta laugh at myself for that.

"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring." (George Santayana)

1 comment:

raymoej said...

hahaha, i love this post.