Vegetarianism

Vegetarianism: The practice of subsisting on a diet composed primarily or wholly of vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, and seeds, with or without eggs and dairy products.

Hi,

Hope you are well, I want to share my observations on "Vegetarianism" since as a Buddhist I too have been confronted with this thought of completely quitting meat, Ironically I live in a country where Non-Vegetarian food is cheaper compared to Vegetarian food.

So the possible solution I came up with was not to completely quit meat eating BUT instead Go Vegetarian for a day!

I am not asking you to completely quit meat eating, I also find it difficult when i don't have fish soup/fried eggs.

All I am requesting is that at least GO VEGETARIAN FOR A DAY!

Say, choose ANY ONE DAY, of the week say I chose SATURDAY and on that day have only Vegetarian food.

Make this a regular practice, and who knows gradually you might turn Vegetarian but then again that's up to you!

I request that you please try eating vegetarian diet one day a week.

GO VEGETARIAN FOR A DAY!

Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=60305269360

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good idea. I'll have to remember to mention it to non-vegetarians if the subject comes up.

Personally, I'm just going to go "semi-vegetarian." Most of my meals will be vegetarian (especially what I personally cook), but I don't plan to be 100% strict in social situations.

Thanks for the idea.

max said...

i am slowly cutting out meat products from my diet right now in preparation for becoming vegetarian as soon as i move into my own apartment in august.

surprisingly, its much easier than i thought it would be.

ive been on the fence about this issue for awhile but the more i think about it, the less i am able to justify killing and eating another sentient being. i would not eat a dog, so why would i eat a cow or chicken? who am i to judge which life is worth more?

i think the vegetarian for a day idea is great. thanks for sharing.

Seth said...

Go veg for a day? Good idea!

But if you really want to have a diet that creates as little suffering as possible, the hard truth is that you should GO VEGAN.

Meat/dairy/eggs they are all part of the same industry. They all create enormous pain for animals. For example, male egg-chickens are usually dumped directly in the trash, and male dairy-cows are are raised for veal.

In the US, its getting easier and easier to go vegan. If you don't have any dietary issues which would make it extra hard to drop meat, dairy, and eggs, its really great for one's health as well. Please consider it. May ALL beings be happy!

Josh said...

I've also been vegan for two years for all the reasons Seth pointed out, and many more. The diet isn't difficult at all, and I feel healthier and slightly less burdened by guilt.

Clemente said...

I like your proposition, it's a nice idea to help you get closer to an ideal.
Myself I have been only lately trying a different approach with the same goal of improving: I try not to eat mammals. That means mainly pork and cow. I have no good name for this diet, but it's quite easier than fully vegetarian.

I know it raises the question of the distinct worth of different life forms, but the same question can be raised about preferring to kill plants (they are living organisms) above animals. It's only a question of how much you are able to lower your limit. I sincerely think that most insects have lower consciousness than mammals, for example, so I'm not that much against eating insects (though they're not very popular in western diets... :)

Rod Meade Sperry at Shambhala Sun said...

thought maybe you'd like to see these 2 posts on Shambhala SunSpace:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=8290

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=8286

also, we added you to our blogroll.
keep it up!